Wednesday, June 07, 2006

good old days part 2

My main occupation is to sell pictures to magazines. What I found out after all these years, that portuguese magazines do not like to change. Prefer to go on selling little then change to a better cover,better pictures with the artikels. The price is not the issue, I have offered the same prices as the agencies, after a lot of bla bla on the phone.
My experience is that in the rest of europe they are more polite. They do not feel them so supirier to the photographer.
I know very nice people in magazines in Spain, Holland , Germany.
my work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy work publishedmy worked publishedmy worked publishedmy worked publishedmy worked publishedmy worked publishedmy worked publishedmy worked publishedmy worked publishedmy worked publishedmy worked published

3 Comments:

Blogger Icarus said...

Marjan, i think I know what you're talking about re. Portuguese mags. While change doesn't occur easily here in any sector of business, as a translator and from many close personal observations of the mass- media (in particular, TV), I could tell you many stories that emphasise what you say. Not only do they adopt that superior posture to photographers, but clearly accurate, culturally adapted translations (articles, sub-titles, any texts at all)are not considered to have any importance & can be left to the kids of insiders who have 4 years of High School English & no knowledge of the subtlies of translation.
The key word is "Importance". We are talking about people from Directors to "journalists" who mostly have no talent or ability, loads of incompetence and insularity, but find themselves incredibly IMPORTANT!! Maybe because they drive German cars & spend 3 hours a day over lunch. Blind, simply blind. Keep plugging away!

1:53 PM  
Blogger marjan hols reis photography said...

Tell me what you do? Photographer?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Icarus said...

As Vitriólica would say: Quem me dera! Photography has become my great passion here in Portugal, because I find it one vast, endless volume of visual poetry. My work these days is practically 100% translation & textual revision (English language consultant), but I have also done some journalism for a London paper, until I resigned when I suspected - on good grounds - that they were using me for their own agenda.
I like looking in from the outside, never join anything!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home